Monday 4 April 2011

Introducing your team

So who are these brave/mental/foolhardy (delete as appropriate) souls?


Amazing athletes? Paragons of modesty, virtue & fitness? Disciples of Bear Grylls?








Unlikely. But what we may lack in ability we more than make up for in terms of enthusiasm and an inability to look the startling inevitability of the folly we are about to take on, in the face. So in that spirit, lets introduce ourselves:




Vicky:


25 years old, only ever climbed one mountain - Mam Tor (actually technically it's a hill!) in the Peak District two and a half years ago, so 3 mountains in 24 hours – wow, that's pretty scary! Enjoy running, although need to step it up a bit to train for the 3 Peaks and do some laps of Richmond Park! From next week until the challenge I'll be attending fitness training religiously on Tues eve, oh and definitely less late nights (in Viva) to help in my quest for fitness :)








Marky Mark:
Marky Mark finds it weird to write about himself in the 3rd person like this, but apart from that he’s really looking forward to the three peaks challenge mainly because he knows the top and bottom 500 metres of each mountain are going to be competitive walk-offs with Garnetto and he fancies his chances. Although at the same time he’s a little worried that just because he cycles for 20minutes each day doesn’t mean he’s going to be able to conquer three mountains in 24 hours. Back in the day he used to do lots of this sort of stuff but since moving down south the biggest hill he conquers is Richmond Hill to go to book club. The thing he is most looking forward to about the whole challenge is Anastasia’s charity car wash!








Nat:


26 years old
Reading the papers at the weekend, cooking and eating out (particularly nice Italian and pizza), going for a run occasionally, and I’m a bit of a culture fiend so I like museums.
I did the three peaks at uni – the day after our final year ball.  So we started with a hangover which was not ideal!  We completed it in just over 25 hours, finishing Snowdon at 5am.  Hoping to be in better shape for it this time round and looking forward to the challenge.
I try to get to the gym 2-3 times a week but that really varies.  Not super fit, but not unfit either!




Morgs:


Morgane the girl in great denial…
Spends more time talking about going to the gym, doing spinning, contemplating going to the gym than actually doing any exercise…it’s a wonder her colleagues haven’t put a stop to this idle chat.
Moreover in classic Morgane style, she signs up to climb the 3 Peaks despite her fear of heights…some call this courageous, others…just stupid!
Let’s hope the fact she’s got a bit of a competitive streak in her will be enough to spur her on, that or the fact she can’t let Si be one up on her.
So, the weekend is going to stop having to revolve around eating and sleeping, instead Morgane is going to need to get those dusty boots out of the cupboard and start walking!


Garnetto:


Garnetto is a bit of a Labrador. Boundless energy, complete lack of co-ordination and a general ability to always see the positive and optimistic (“only the other 2 biggest peaks in the British Isles to go folks – we are nearly there...maybe”) should prove to be useful characteristics. Some prior experience of stupid sporting challenges should also help – Garnetto has swum the Solent, rowed the length of the Thames & run a marathon – he knows that the key to success comes from completely refusing to accept the inevitability of what is to come (“I’m sure the summit is just round the corner”) and loads of carbs (lucky that – bread is 90% of his diet)




Flash:


So, the 3 peak challenge! I’m 26 and have never completed anything of this intensity before, hence I am slightly apprehensive. I like to convince myself I have an adequate fitness level, but I’m not completely sure the occasional session of Bikrim yoga is going to help me out here. I fully intend to start some proper training very soon, which will most likely entail running and the odd gym session. Hopefully the fact I have given up chocolate for lent, might have a positive impact.




Hattie:


Hi Everyone,


I'm 22 years old (the baby of the group) and have not really done much walking, apart from Duke Of Edinburgh when I was 16 and trekking through the jungles of Northern Thailand last year! So I'm feeling pretty nervous, and a few people have told me some horror stories about how hard it will be - but I'm not sure if they are just trying to scare me or not. I do a bit of running to keep fit and wouldn't say I'm 'unfit' but I could definitely do more and need to, should probably start focusing on the leg muscles.


What I'm really looking forward to though, apart from completing the challenge (obviously) is being part of the team and supporting each other up and down the 3 peaks, it's certainly going to be an experience.


Hope you all enjoy following us on our journey,


Hattie x










Ally:
31 years old
I love running the parkrun on Saturday mornings at 9am(!) in Bushy park, sewing my own clothes and reading.
I’ve managed the Yorkshire 3 peaks in 12.5 hours (Which  means I lost that challenge as its cut off time is 12 hours but I am training for this one, honest!).
My fitness level is 65% (not compared to Garnetto though – more compared to less competitive human beings).


No comments:

Post a Comment