Sunday 27 March 2011

North Downs Way - 11 miles

In order to make sure I'm not dragging behind the fit (as in fitness, not as in "fit"...!) Clear team I decided to do something about it.

It seems that my weekly 5km at my local parkrun (www.parkrun.com - look for your local one, seriously good fun!) isn't enough (especially considering the time it takes me to get around the course)... so I've been looking for ways to get myself out there walking. 
I mean proper walking, up hills, not just to the local shop for the paper.

A few days ago I came across a website called meetup.com. I signed up, found a walking group called "outdooraholics" and signed up for one of their walks - today. Yikes.

Starting at Guildford we walked along the River Wey canal, past the boat houses and rowing boats and then onto the Bluebell Woods where we joined the North Downs Way ridge. At the top of the hill we stopped for lunch at St Martha’s church then made our way back to Guildford. All in all 11 miles and glorious sunshine all the way through. Brilliant trip, lovely company and great weather! Perfect.


 
Can you see the South Downs there in the background?

It made me hungry for the three peaks challenge. Bring on some mountains!

On another note - I had to admit that it's time to put my current hiking boots at rest. I've blisters all over my toes (!) so a new pair of walking boots is coming my way.
xxx Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment